Sunday, September 2, 2012

Seven ~ Food Month ~ Part Four

On the first morning of eating normally again, after eating only our seven chosen foods for a month, I wasn’t prepared for what happened to me. I’m still processing the impact that I hope will remain for a long time to come. It was a chilly morning that day, so I decided to make a bowl of oatmeal. I popped a raisin in my mouth while I assembled  the oats, raisins, cinnamon and milk. I savored the sweet flavor as it rehydrated, while the oatmeal simmered in the microwave. This was my first encounter with sweetness other than apples for the past thirty days. It was delightful! After a few minutes, I gave the soupy oatmeal mixture a stir and added another minute. While I waited, I licked the milky spoon and the spiciness of the cinnamon touched a nerve in my soul. The next thing I knew I was weeping and wondering where that unexpected emotional response came from. Even now, three months later, I get emotional every time I share that story. I think my first reaction was one of overwhelming gratitude and a fresh awareness of God’s goodness to me. I hope I will never again be so oblivious to how very blessed I am! It was a powerful moment and I hope I never forget it!    

One would think that after eating the same seven foods for a month that I might grow tired of them and not want to face them for a very long time. But that has not been the case at all. In fact, cheddar cheese and hard-boiled eggs have become my favorite snack and I even crave them now. This has been an unexpected bonus and the most satisfying snack I have ever enjoyed. All that protein, I guess. I’m thrilled with the new lifestyle changes I have adopted thanks to my Food Month experience. I knew food month was going to be good for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the long-term choices it has inspired and the new energy I have enjoyed because of them.

Paring down to seven foods for a month has given me a new perspective about the way I shop for, prepare and consume my food. It has opened my eyes to the abundance of food that I always have available and the ridiculous amount of choices that beckon each time I enter a grocery store. I’m gladly trading in my old ways for a simpler way of life that is a welcome change and many healthier blessings have followed. Most importantly, I have a fresh awareness of God's abundant provisions that are available to me everyday.

Next time I’ll be sharing about Seven’s Clothing Month and how difficult it was to choose the seven garments (not outfits) I would be wearing for a month. That month too, held some pleasant surprises!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty incredible journey! I love reading about how you've been simplifying your life...now to act on it myself. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This process has been so good for me, Melody! Each month has had it's rewards and surprises. I'm enjoying the journey and sharing it with anyone who is interested has been great fun. I'm sure the Lord has plenty more to teach me along the way. Thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy my readers comments and feedback!
    Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete