Sunday, January 4, 2015

FOCUS: My 2015 Word For The Year

Photo borrowed from: margiewarrell.com/focus-2014







Since my husband, Buck, passed away nearly six years ago, I have made a commitment to spend more time in pursuit of spiritual growth. I am so thankful for the way God has used my daily devotional time to help me to grow in my relationship with Him. It has also gone a long way in the restoration of my broken heart as I face life as a widow. I never anticipated the intimacy that this discipline would deliver. Never before have I enjoyed such a close and personal connection to my God!







During these times of communing with Him, I was aware that certain words or themes would repeatedly be evident in my daily time spent with God. Most often this happened through the devotional that I would be reading at the time. Most recently, I have grown very fond of the way the Lord communicates with me through Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. This will be my third year of daily time spent within her pages. Her style of writing is so appealing to me, as she writes in first person, so that it seems that Jesus is speaking directly to me. It is surprising how often the subject matter is exactly what I need to hear, or it confirms something I have had on my mind. I often weep in amazement that the Creator of the universe would fashion such a message that would touch me in such a personal way, as though it was written just for me. This happens all the time!

In years past, these themes included tender messages about trusting Him, not being afraid, about His Light shining in my darkness, His Faithfulness, and my favorite and most recent was the constant reminder that He is always with me... Immanuel... God with us... and that He will never leave or forsake me. These messages of Love were a great encouragement to me and often gave me courage, energy and motivation to face the day ahead. They still do.

Last week, as the year was drawing to a close, I noticed several posts on Facebook about adopting a Word for the New Year. This was recommended in place of New Year resolutions. This concept was appealing and made sense to me. As I contemplated this for myself, the word focus quickly came to mind. I was concerned, though, if this was from the Lord or by my own design. So, as I drifted off in the early hours of New Year’s morning, I asked God to please confirm that this idea was, indeed, from Him.

In mid-morning, I decided to reread the Introduction from Jesus Calling and this sentence jumped off the page. “... somedays I simply sit with Him for a while and write nothing. During these times of focusing on God, I may experience ‘fullness of joy’ in His Presence (Ps 16:11) or I may simply enjoy His gentle company and receive His Peace.” And if that wasn’t unmistakable enough, I also found this in the January 1st entry. “As you focus your thoughts on Me, be aware that I am fully attentive to you. ” This clearly was an answer to my prayer from the wee hours and my emotional response spilled out onto the pages of my journal. How is it that You are mindful of me, oh Lord? I wept in recognition, awe and wonder!  

I look forward to seeing how God will use this word: focus, in my life this year. I have a feeling it will provide opportunities to write about what He is teaching me along the way. I pray that what I learn is beneficial to my readers, too, as I am inspired to use this writing gift to share what God is doing in my life. I would encourage you to ask God for a “word” of your own. I would love to hear about your experiences as well! God bless you and yours in the New Year! Thank you so much for continuing to join me on my Tandem Journey.

FlowerLady Lorraine 

Dear Renee' ~ What a GREAT post and I am so glad to read it. It is very encouraging. I've just past the 2nd anniversary of my dear husband's homegoing and I too have become closer to God.

My word for the year is 'dependence'. More dependence on Jesus for everything I need.

I have Jesus Calling too and it is a wonderful book. A friend gave it to me right after losing my husband and as you say it is just like Jesus is talking right to you.

Bless your heart, mind soul and body as you continue to trust in Jesus for all your needs.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady 

1 comment:


  1. Hello sweet Lorraine! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind encouraging words. I am thrilled that my post was an encouragement to you! I like your "word " for this year! I have been thinking of you and visited your blog yesterday to see if you have posted recently. The second anniversary is a significant one. It's such a difficult journey, but obviously you are moving forward with the Lord at your side and in your heart. I am thankful to hear of your growing closeness to our God. I can't think of anything more healing or comforting than that! Praying for a brighter year ahead as we cling to Him. Hugs for you.

    Love, Renee'

    ReplyDelete